Louisiana Boat Accident Attorneys
Injured in a Boat Accident? Our Louisiana Boating Lawyers Can Help.
Boating accidents are the tragic result of negligence on the open water; though most people don't own boats or make a living on the water, boating accidents make up a significant share of motor vehicle accidents nationwide. In 2022, the Coast Guard reported 4,040 boating accidents that caused 2,222 injuries and 636 deaths in just one year. These accidents can cause serious injuries such as brain damage, spinal cord injuries, amputation, and more.
Though our economy and public recreational life rely on numerous waterways and coastal areas, there's a cost to allowing so many negligent boaters and operators out onto the water.
The only way to make things right is to hold negligent boat manufacturers, renters, and operators accountable for every injury they cause. If you or a loved one has been injured in a boating accident, you need a Louisiana boat accident lawyer who can help you get your life back. For decades, Clayton, Frugé & Ward has helped plaintiffs recover over $1 billion in settlements and verdicts to rebuild their lives. Our advocacy has helped thousands of plaintiffs pay for medical bills, replace lost paychecks, seek rehabilitative care, and much, much more.
What Causes Boat Accidents?
The unique conditions that boats operate in produce a set of causes prevalent throughout Louisiana waters. Each of these factors underscores the need for proper maintenance and adherence to safety regulations.
Causes of boat accidents include:
- Alcohol: Intoxication remains a leading factor in fatal boating accidents.
- Lack of Lifejackets: Those who lost their lives in boating accidents were killed by drowning 76% of the time.
- Lack of Safety Standards: The standard requirements for those who wish to operate a boat are far less strict than those needed to drive a car. In many states, a simple, quick safety class is the only requirement to operate a boat.
- Weather: Sudden storms, fog, or strong currents can lead to accidents, especially if the boat is not appropriately handled.
- Conditions: Boats behave differently than cars, which means inexperienced operators inevitably fail to compensate for conditions on the water. Unsafe speeds, improper stopping distances, and dangerous maneuvers are all too typical.
Fight for Full, Fair Financial Compensation with Our Help
The tragedy of boating accidents is that each one is ultimately preventable. The causes listed above can be avoided with a responsible person, employer, or owner at the helm. When boat owners and operators fail to keep people safe, the people they injure must be compensated for their medical care, pain and suffering, lost wages, and more.
At Clayton, Frugé & Ward, we take a client-first approach to our cases. Clients often face a mountain of difficulty, including mobility challenges, the loss of wages, a lengthy recovery, and a lifetime of doctor’s bills. When you come to our Louisiana boat accident law firm, you can expect a firm that puts your needs above all other concerns. You deserve a full recovery, so we'll advocate for you against every party who contributed to or caused your harm. If they won't make things right with you, we'll take them to trial—the last place they want to face us.
Start your recovery by calling our Louisiana boat accident attorneys at (225) 209-9943.